Elks Building & Huffman Block, Fire Blocks Historic District
Dayton, Montgomery County, OH
The $20M rehabilitation project was awarded $4.5M from Round 16 OHPTC and will take advantage of $4M from Federal HPTC.
Historic Preservation Tax Credit (HPTC) rehabilitation project for 134,000 sq.ft. former commercial buildings located in the Fire Blocks Historic District. The 1915 Elks building was designed by Albert Pretzinger in the Georgian Revival Style. The 1915 Huffman Block was designed by Frank Hill Smith in the Neoclassical style and was originally designed for four-story separate commercial ownership. Both buildings contribute to the Fire Blocks Historic District (NR# 92001374) which is significant under Criterion A,B, and C representing the massive rebuilding program following the flood and fire of 1913. The rehabilitation converted the buildings into mixed-use 90 market-rate apartments with first-floor commercial tenants including Two Social Bar, Salt Block Biscuit Company, and Jollity restaurant.
The Windsor Companies
Architect: Meld Architects, Cleveland, OH
Contractor: Windsor Construction, Columbus, OH